Fabulous Fjords

Fabulous Fjords

Monday, 15 June 2026

15th June 2026 - Toronto

 Got up around 8am and had some breakfast, checked out a few computer problems for Margaret and then headed into town for a doctor's appointment at a local hospital. Ian came along as he wanted to understand more about Margaret's condition. 

It was a spinal specialist who explained very clearly using xray pictures what the issues were with Margaret's scoliosis in her spinal column. This is the first time in years that anybody has explained to Margaret her options and her prognosis. The main problem is that certain vertibrae are impacting her spinal cord and  causing her pain. It is getting worse but very slowly and she is managing the pain. The doctor explained the options.

1) An epidural.

2) An operation which is keyhole surgery to relieve the pressure on the spinal cord.

3) Monitor the pain level and only do 1) or 2) if it becomes unmanageable. 

When it does become unmanageable she should have an epidural which should give relief for three or four months. She can have multiple epidurals.  Option 2) has risks because of Margaret's age and should only be considered as a last resort.  Margaret and Ian were really happy with the doctor's diagnosis and explanation.  Before we went into the doctor Margaret and I went to the food hall for some lunch. I tried to pay with my new Wise card but it was rejected. It seems I hadn't activated it and needed to enter an activation code that was sent with the card. Of course I left the letter with the code in Sydney.  The only other way to activate the card was to withdraw money from an ATM. I tried a couple of ATMs near Margaret but they all wanted to charge me $3 - $5 in fees so I withdrew  $50 and it cost me $5!! At least the card works now as I tested it buying some beer and groceries at Loblaws.

We went for a walk round a local park which I recognised from previous visits. The weather was fine but cool, very pleasant. We ate in with Margaret making chicken pasta and caesar salad. She had a bottle of red wine which I gladly imbibed. She doesn't drink because of all the medications she takes.

I added a few more photos to her Aura Photo Frame and we talked to about 10pm. We both hit the sack at 10.30pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

27th June 2026 - Oslo

 Breakfast is serve yourself buffet.  It was very good with plenty of  variety. After breakfast I walked across the square and up Karl Johan...