Fabulous Fjords

Fabulous Fjords

Saturday, 27 June 2026

27th June 2026 - Oslo

 Breakfast is serve yourself buffet.  It was very good with plenty of  variety. After breakfast I walked across the square and up Karl Johan Gate to the royal palace.  

The Royal Palace 

There is an incredible view from the palace down the hill towards the city centre. There were toy soldiers guarding the palace. The weather was fine and sunny with temperatures around 25C.


View down the hill. 


 I walked round the back of the palace where you could book a tour. I think I'm over palace tours. At the rear there was a little park with a spectacular fountain.

Fountain behind palace. 

 I walked back to the hotel via the National Theatre and the Fan Zone for the soccer world cup. Most shops, tourist attractions don't open until 10am. The police were out in force. There was a gay march scheduled for later in the day and the organisers and police were blocking off roads. When I got back to the hotel Dave Knight was sitting waiting to check in, Gus was there too. After they checked in and I moved my luggage to the room I'm sharing with Colin the three of us decided to walk to the port and catch the ferry to the Maritime Museum. It was longer than we thought and it was quite hot so we had a couple of beers in a waterside cafe instead. There was a rock concert going on over the wall which managed deaden the duff duff music. We headed back to the hotel for our 4pm briefing from Mike Ferris. We received the keys and paperwork for our bikes so we went outside to check them out for any damage.  Mine had a slight scrape on the right bark buster. Colin was late as his train from Sweden was delayed by a broken down freight train.  He arrived at 5.30pm instead of 4pm. We had dinner at 7.30pm in the hotel restaurant.  The food was good even though service wasn't brilliant.  I had bolognese and tiramasu. A bottle of beer is around A $20. A bottle of water is $7. The room Colin and I share is not much bigger than the single room I had the previous night. 

Toy soldier guarding the palace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

27th June 2026 - Oslo

 Breakfast is serve yourself buffet.  It was very good with plenty of  variety. After breakfast I walked across the square and up Karl Johan...